Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

On 11/5/2013 5:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's
light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting
brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I
cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry.
Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow
cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry
cigar.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks
are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

While I still think it is maple and not to argue here but the cherry
that we get in Houston tends to be quite lite in color. I find that it
is so lite that is often difficult to tell from some of the maple unless
it is right next to the maple. If I stare at it for a while I can tell
that the local cherry is not maple but not at first glance.

For instance, this cherry looks a whole lot like maple.

http://www.amazon.com/SOLID-CHERRY-H.../dp/B00633XVZE