Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in :

woodchucker writes:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:10:14 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood,

has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap

marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a
cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple..
but you are right it could be Cherry.

I was actually thinking Birch, myself. Those brown stripes are distinctive.

Yes, they are -- distinctively maple. Color and grain are wrong for birch, too.

It will be a bit less dense than maple, and perhaps a bit more towards the
yellow than the white.

Whether birch is less or more dense than maple depends on which maple you're
comparing it to: birch is slightly less dense than hard maple, but a whole lot *more* dense
than soft maple.