Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:46:22 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

http://imageshack.com/i/0xm6fij

Thanks.

FWIW,

http://aacerflooring.com/residential...stics-of-wood/

The top row of pictures show close ups of Maple. That is my vote.

That said, cut a small piece and let it burn against the blade.

Maple will typically turn brown, cherry will typically turn dark red.

I can't really smell the cherry cigar smell. I'll try this test.

Thanks.