Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Type of wood?

Michael wrote in
:

Thanks for the info, people who responded. I've been looking at
pictures on the web and can't tell. I'm making a box for a charity
auction (it's supposed to have other stuff inside). I guess I could
label it "Maple or possibly Basswood + Red Oak Splines."

Basswood tends to be rather soft, while maple isn't all that soft. I don't
have a lot of experience with working either material, so I can't say more
than that.

You'd probably see advertising for something with an unknown hardwood
marked as "hardwood spline" rather than stating a specific wood.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.