Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More Of A Construction Question But...

Scary.

I'm building a metal building. A library & new office, work room
and a game room. The first two are in the same room.

28x70 - the center room is 14' and the other two rooms are equal.

We are hanging lots of bar lights in the room. Our ceiling is made
from a Lam beam that is 18x6x28' two of those, one in each large room.
From that beam to the wood wall are 2x6's (#1's). Built like a tank,
but won't falter in the load. But consider the beam weighs about the
same as the 2x6's and only hold up bar lights and not a single fan.

If the walls can handle the weight, can the decking that forms the
floor hold the load while over your head ?

I worked with my contractor to spec the beam and he went with our
work to an expert. He got it approved.

We put the long beam down the long center so we might shorten
the 2x6's and lower the over all cost. Still expensive!

I'd take down the drywall ceiling and walls. I'd look and make
a decision. Life might be at the balance point.

Martin

On 11/2/2013 9:50 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
It does involve wood so I thought I'd start with the 'wreck.

As the only uncle in the family that knows which end of the hammer
to hold, I get, um "volunteered" to "help" the rest of the family
from time. In this case, I am being asked to frame a garage
that was updated with second floor living quarters above.

Ordinarily, I'd just build the framing, erect it, nail it to the floor
with a .22 nailer, and screw it into the joists above. Unfortunately,
the ceiling is already drywalled and there is no way to determine
exactly where the joists are, what is ductwork, what is conduit,
what is venting. The quality of construction in this house is so
uneven, I rather doubt I can count on it having been built to any
real standard. The walls of the garage are cinder block.
Is it feasible to put cleats on the cinder and secure the studding
to those cleats? I sort of don't think .22 nailing into cinder block
is a great idea so does this mean I have to use anchors to go into
the block.

One other stupid question. When I've seen foundations done with cinder
block, they got filled with concrete. Given this is a garage wall,
can I reasonably assume the same here or could I be dealing with
hollow centers? I kind of doubt it because they built this giant
master bedroom above the garage and I wonder if hollow cinder could
support the load.

Sigh...

And Thanks IN Advance,