Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I have a dream - Metalworking ++

On 2013-11-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus11177" wrote in

message ...

To add to this, a few months ago I met just that kind of guy.

(bought

some of his scrap, broken CNC machine for parts and general

surplus).

He started a CNC manufacturing operation in his garage. Kept it

going

and expanded. Right now he is renting an industrial unit, has a

bunch

of machines, people etc. He did not seem to be stupid and, I am

assuming that he is making money.

How do CNC job shoppers deal with customers who don't know quite what

they want and ask for engineering help? Even if you are only copying

something for a repair you don't have the original specs and

dimensions.

I am not in that business, and I find it to be generally unattractive

for myself. That particular guy I mentioned in my previous post, was

making certain engine parts for a leading lawnmower company. They know

what they want and he was making exactly what they wanted.

I would not want to have customers who want parts made and do not know

what exactly they need. I would try to gently send them elsewhere, and

if that does not help, not so gently.

You want generally unattractive read your own posts that don't contain the necessary information when you ask for help.