Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11177 Ignoramus11177 is offline

Default I have a dream - Metalworking ++

On 2013-11-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus11177" wrote in
message ...

To add to this, a few months ago I met just that kind of guy.
(bought
some of his scrap, broken CNC machine for parts and general
surplus).

He started a CNC manufacturing operation in his garage. Kept it
going
and expanded. Right now he is renting an industrial unit, has a
bunch
of machines, people etc. He did not seem to be stupid and, I am
assuming that he is making money.

How do CNC job shoppers deal with customers who don't know quite what
they want and ask for engineering help? Even if you are only copying
something for a repair you don't have the original specs and
dimensions.

I am not in that business, and I find it to be generally unattractive
for myself. That particular guy I mentioned in my previous post, was
making certain engine parts for a leading lawnmower company. They know
what they want and he was making exactly what they wanted.

I would not want to have customers who want parts made and do not know
what exactly they need. I would try to gently send them elsewhere, and
if that does not help, not so gently.