Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220 Volt Plugs

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:37:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Tony944 wrote:
"Tony944" wrote in message

"Pavel314" wrote in message
Our greenhouse heater wore out after a number of years so we bought a
replacement. It's essentially the same heater except that the new one is a
different color and the plug is a different configuration. The old one has
one round pin and two flat blades, with the blades at an angle to each
other and above the round pin. The new one also has one round pin and two
flat blades but the blades are lined up with each other, so I have to
replace the receptacle with one that matches the new plug. Not a major
project, just a minor annoyance and expense.

I've seen other 220 volt plug configurations; some have an L-shaped blade
instead of the round pin, others have four blades in a circular pattern
which lock when turned, etc. Is there any practical reason for all these
variations?

Paul

No Paul there are no reason the only reason that could find that our OSH
system is politically oriented like Washington.

Hi again many of you made comment about rating and protection safety factors

so on and so on. Main reason for circuit breaker or fuses in Electrical
panel is to protect

property installation, it is not for you product or your device that you are
plug-in',

that is miss conception. Your devices that you are plug-in in supposedly
have his on protection

but yes lot of them don't come with its own protection so the circuit
breaker or fuse is doing

two jobs protecting installation property and your device what ever that
maybe.

Biggest problems with plug-in that usually something comes loose from ware
out or simple

it was not made right, when wires become loose in or on plug ins it will
generate heat

even so it may work okay until start to burn, if person grab for the plug
and it is warm there

is problem, which by most people ignored "big mistake"? If plug is warm in
some cases

hot it is either overloaded or something is loose that should be taking care
of.

Doing my life time in field service on many times I was force to demand from

Costumer to act and take action either have me make fix it or get there own
electricians

to do it. One should also take in consideration the length of wire/cable is
going to use

example if you have 15amp. Circuit and you add 100 feet of cable that is
also rated for 15 amps.

that line will start to warm up and you will have voltage drop on the line.

If you running some type of motor depend on motor LRA it may not even start
up,

you may need larger rating of cable/cord perhaps 20amp rating.

The rules applyies to all application regardless what voltage are you
using.

Hi,
My favourite is Hubbel. Heavy stuff....

They make lighter stuff too.