Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I have a dream - Metalworking ++

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
On 11/2/2013 12:23 PM, RogerN wrote:

I always appreciate those that can design parts that are machining
friendly.
Some mechanical designers will draw an easy to draw line without
realizing
how long that it's going to take to cut.

RogerN

It's a rare, and precious worker who understands
his own job, and the next job beyond his.

Christopher A. Young

I found that electrical engineers had so much to study in their own
field that they knew very little outside it, such as even the basics
of mechanical engineering. MEs weren't much better with electricity.

My degree is in Chemistry, which has such wide application that it's
practically a general science degree, covering nearly the whole range
of Matter and a considerable part of Energy (Physics) like Statics and
simple Kinetics. For much of it we learned only enough to understand
the specialized, often proprietary explanations wherever we took a
job.

For example that's where I learned about the strength of threaded
joints and how they fail, the circuit diagram for a 3-way light
switch, and how to calculate the capacitance between my hand and the
planet Saturn.

jsw