Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default More Of A Construction Question But...

On 11/2/2013 9:50 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
The walls of the garage are cinder block.
Is it feasible to put cleats on the cinder and secure the studding
to those cleats? I sort of don't think .22 nailing into cinder block
is a great idea so does this mean I have to use anchors to go into
the block.

If you can attach to both ceiling joists above, and the floor, it is
often unnecessary to attach to the concrete block wall also.

If you feel you must, my preference is to use Tapcon screws and/or
concrete anchors into the cinder block walls, and the concrete floor.

I would also take the time to find as many ceiling joists as possible
and nail the top plate into them, as well as screw the sill plates down
with Tapcon/concrete anchors as mentioned above

Since the area where the nails will go in the ceiling will be covered by
the top plate, there should be no objection to using a nail, knife or
other method for finding joists to nail to.

This is important enough to make the effort.

Scroll the photos and take a close look at what appears to be a similar
interior framing job I just did in a bathroom demo/rebuild where two
adjoining walls were concrete blocks:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11135...809?banner=pwa

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com