Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default More Of A Construction Question But...

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

One other stupid question. When I've seen foundations
done with cinder block, they got filled with concrete. Given this is a
garage wall, can I reasonably assume the
same here or could I be dealing with hollow centers? I
kind of doubt it because they built this giant master
bedroom above the garage and I wonder if hollow cinder
could support the load.

Most of the block is probably hollow. The cells at corners and where there
are penetrations - windows, doors - generally have vertical steel and the
cells are filled. The top course is (around here, at least) a "U" shaped
lintel; it too has steel, horizontally, which is tied into all vertical
steel and the "U" is then filled with grout (concrete/mortar on the watery
side so it will flow).

--

dadiOH