Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default I have a dream - Metalworking ++

A long time dream goal in life involves first a building to make my shop in.
Then set up a home shop with a bit of manual and CNC machines, plus
automation equipment & controls like what I do for my day job.

Jumping ahead, the desired end result would be that I make things in my home
shop but using automation and sell the items to others interested in
whatever I'm making.

So, in the shop, I would make hobby projects using manual and CNC machines,
and if there seemed to be much interest, I could set up for automation to
have a mini production line. Perhaps not full, lights out, automation but
find a happy medium of cost of automation versus labor savings, using
automation to make a person as productive as practical.

The manual machine tools would be more for the one off items and to
construct the automated or semi-automated equipment.

For an example, I'd like to automate a progressive reloading press. After I
get a part of it automated, make the parts needed to sell to others. For
example if someone sets up a gear motor or cylinder to operate the press
lever, a control with sensors sensing cases, bullets, powder and jams could
stop the motor and alarm if something wasn't right. You wouldn't have to
use a PLC costing $$$ but maybe a low-cost microcontroller board with free
programming software. They already have alarms for reloading presses for
powder level in the powder measure and level in the cartridge case, if these
went to inputs in a controller they could stop the operation.

So worst case I'd have a home machine shop and not make any money from it,
best case I'd make some money and perhaps grow into something more than a
hobby. But if I didn't make any money, I'd get to work with my son, show
him how to run the manual and CNC machines, program CNC lathe and mill,
PLC's and robots. He'd get hands on experience in machining, CNC operation
and programming, CAD design, electrical. I think it would be better
experience than flipping burgers! Seems employers want young people with
years of college and years of experience, they want someone 5 years of
experience using 2014 software!

There is also some potential opportunity to sell parts to my employer.
There is an approved vendor that can buy from employees and sell to the
company. One of our maintenance mechanics bought an industrial sewing
machine and makes dust collector boots that use Velcro. This saves a lot of
time and disassembly in the boot replacement, it's not a secret and others
don't have a problem with it, they appreciate the savings in time and labor.

The thing holding me back is money, I asked my bank and they don't seem
interested in loaning money unless you can prove to them that you don't need
it! My credit score has fallen after buying a new car but it's still over
760, excellent. I work day shift and that's about the only time you can
talk to banks about loans so it's difficult to get time to call them.

RogerN