Lowell Holmes

Default Flat Out Flat - Possible?

It is a mahogany type wood from Africa that has ribbon stripe grain that is
interlocked and reverse. P van Rijckevorsel revealed that It plains well
cross grain, but not with the grain. If your interested, check out the
string *Sapele confusion*.

It is not a trick question. I think it is a gorgeous wood and have a project
in mind using it.
I bought a board and will make a box or table in order to learn how to work
it.

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Chuck,
Have you ever thickness planed a piece of Sapele?

Is that a trick question, Lowell? :-)

To the best of my knowledge, I've never planed any sapele at all. I
have thickness planed cocobolo, yellowheart, purpleheart and various
other quilted and figured woods. It's not something I enjoy, but I do
it if I have to.

So what's sapele like?

Chuck Vance