Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default 220 Volt Plugs

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:30:12 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 10/31/2013 02:46 PM, Pete C. wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 08:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

Our greenhouse heater wore out after a number of years so we bought a
replacement. It's essentially the same heater except that the new one is
a different color and the plug is a different configuration. The old one
has one round pin and two flat blades, with the blades at an angle to
each other and above the round pin. The new one also has one round pin
and two flat blades but the blades are lined up with each other, so I
have to replace the receptacle with one that matches the new plug. Not a
major project, just a minor annoyance and expense.

I've seen other 220 volt plug configurations; some have an L-shaped
blade instead of the round pin, others have four blades in a circular
pattern which lock when turned, etc. Is there any practical reason for
all these variations?

Paul

Maybe this will shed some light on it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_pins.svg.png

I could use a little more light to be shed...

Why do they use the text "Welder or Plasma Cutter" above the L6-20 and
L6-30 plugs?

Are there no other devices that use a locking 20A or 30A plug?

Tons. They just noted the common uses for some of the configurations.

To the OP, you can't just change the receptacle style randomly, you have
to ensure that the circuit is the correct voltage and Ampacity to match
the receptacle and also the device you intend to connect. Those
different styles exist to prevent people from plugging a 120V device
into a 240V circuit, or a 50A device into a 20A circuit or similar.

and it sounds like OP might have a 10-50 recep and a 6-15 plug, don't
really want to be plugging a 15 amp or less device into a 50A circuit,
unless the device itself has a main fuse or breaker. Important concept
is recep amp rating must match the breaker, except in the instance of a
15A 120VAC recep being allowed on a 20A branch circuit.

nate

I'm not following why it's a problem to plug a 15 amp device into a 50
amp circuit, assuming they are both, say 220volts. How is it any
different then plugging a cell phone charger into a 15amp 120v
circuit?