Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG[_3_] KG[_3_] is offline

Default Best hold in thin alumium?

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 07:41:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did we ever hear what the writer did with his
storm door? I do apologize for being on topic....

Nope, not until now,
I found some # 12 & 14, 3" deck screws and drilled out the hole that was striping to
the size of the screws shaft,- 'the threads of the deck screws' then drilled the inter
door aluminum casement a little larger than the overall screw size. Using a full
screw I started them into the hole to somewhat thread them then cut the 3" screws down
to about 2.4" so they were about .125" through. They appear to hold fine, I'm using
some large rubber O rings under the screw head to give them some give so the hot cold
cycle doesn't pull them out.
I'll let you know how it works in a few years.
Boy the thread sure changed from my original post hasn't it.
Thanks to all for your assistance. kg

To reply to this message please remove the AT
after the kgs1 in the reply to address.

To a conservatist's it truly is a free country,
YOU may do whatever they wish. KG