Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best hold in thin alumium?

On 2013-10-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Well ... back in those days, they didn't need metric at least.
My first metric socket set I got for the little 50 cc Honda which I used
on a field trip in Arizona.

I dunno... I bought a 1957 Fiat 1200 Spyder in 1967. There were a lot of
VWs on the road then, but not much else 'foreign'. The Fiat (remember,
from 1957) was ALL metric; not a single Imperial fastener on it.

Well ... yes -- but that was French (or was it Italian?). I
would have been very surprised if they had used a single Whitworth. :-)

I was talking specifically about the MGA series -- 1500, 1600,
and 1600 MK II ('56 trough about '63, IIRC).

Earlier MGs used a lot more Whitworth, and later ones I don't
know about, but it would not surprise me if they added metric to the
collection.

Even with three VW shops in the county, we played hell finding a local auto
parts shop that carried enough metric tools to make up a 'full set'. And
BOY, did that motor need tools! It blew up _something_ about every 1200
miles (maybe that's why they called the model "the 1200"???), and no head
gasket had ever been known to last on one of those engines for more than
5000 miles.

Never worked on one of those. I got the full set of 3/8" drive
Metric sockets (used) in Arizona back around 1964 or so for the little
50 cc Honda.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--