Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocked!

On Monday, October 28, 2013 10:15:52 PM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:
On 10/28/2013 1:34 PM, wrote:

On Monday, October 28, 2013 3:06:05 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

writes:

It may not be the *only* grounding electrode. The water service

pipe entering the house is however one of a number of permissible

grounding electrodes that can be part of the grounding system.

A quibble - a metal water service pipe (10ft...) is not a "permissible"

electrode. It is a *required* electrode.

I know this is merely temporary insanity and you know better.

I suspect this is the root of your disagreement.

FWIW, bonding CATV to a cold water line isn't done by most cable systems anymore,

as they have no assurance that the cold water line is actually bonded to the

premises grounding electrodes, particularly in regions of the country where

the water service lines were non-metallic or have been replaced by non-metallic

piping (per the local Comcast tech staff).

scott

I agree, for new, recent contruction. But what was proposed was

to send the OP off on a search for things like CATV, phone,

and even the electric panel that are

connected to a water pipe and that such a connection is "no

longer code". That to me at least, implies that it's something

that is wrong and possibly the source of his shock problem.

In fact, there are millions of older homes where the cable

TV is bonded to a cold water pipe. Nothing wrong,

inherently unsafe, or that needs to be fixed. In fact, it's

still code compliant to ground a CATV cable to a water pipe,

under certain circumstances.

When there is a metal water service pipe (10ft...) it is always code

compliant to connect the entry protectors to the pipe, but now only

within 5 ft of entry to the house.

I am too lazy to look up rules for if the pipe is "bonded" (plastic

service pipe).

You are easily the "most right". I don''t understand why this is as

difficult as it seems to be.

Thanks Bud. Good to see we're back to agreeing on things again
The irony here of course is that most of the folks here don't
seem to understand what's code, proper, etc, yet someone suggested
the OP who is obviously a novice start looking at the ground wires
attached to his water pipes. The worst part was that suggesting that
it's "no longer code" to see a ground wire from the panel, CATV, phone,
etc going to a water pipe is wrong. To me, a novice would likely
infer from that if he finds such a thing, it needs to be corrected,
could be the cause of his shock problem, etc.

Robert later said that he meant the OP should go find those so
that he can point them out to the electrician. I don't have a
problem with that. But the "not code today" part as we agree is
wrong. Not just for older systems, either, but for code in new
work.

As I said before, another thing the OP could do is trace out the
plumbing system to identify how the energized section is connected
back to the rest of it, eg if there is a plastic section in between
it and the rest of the plumbing, etc. He should of course do that
without touching the metal portion. But most important is to get
an electrician in there. That of course assuming this was a real post
and not a joke to get us all going.