Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau Wes Groleau is offline

Default Shocked!

On 10-28-2013, 19:26, wrote:
On Monday, October 28, 2013 7:19:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:08:46 -0400, Wes Groleau
Second best way to check for something hot if you're not sure of the
return path is one of those things that work by proximity.
Unfortunately, many of those are tricky to adjust and can give false Hot
or false Not judgments if you don't know how to work them.

Best is to follow the advice already posted often: Call a pro.

The EASIEST way to test for a live chassis, or a live wire, is a neon
tester. It will light with only a "capacitive ground" and draws so
little current it is impossible to get a shock from.

I wouldn't recommend any of those procedures for the OP
and his problem. For one thing,

I would--the one that's marked and recommended already by several others

who knows if this is a stable condition, ie that the voltage is
always present, always the same, etc. If he has a faulty
piece of equipment, a partial short, etc, it could be energized
sometimes and not at others. It could show no voltage when tested
and then 120V could be there when he takes his shower.

Which is what I said in the part snipped.

--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
very intelligent person could believe in them.
€” George Orwell