Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Shocked!

On 10/28/2013 1:34 PM, wrote:
On Monday, October 28, 2013 3:06:05 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:

It may not be the *only* grounding electrode. The water service
pipe entering the house is however one of a number of permissible
grounding electrodes that can be part of the grounding system.

A quibble - a metal water service pipe (10ft...) is not a "permissible"
electrode. It is a *required* electrode.

I know this is merely temporary insanity and you know better.

I suspect this is the root of your disagreement.

FWIW, bonding CATV to a cold water line isn't done by most cable systems anymore,
as they have no assurance that the cold water line is actually bonded to the
premises grounding electrodes, particularly in regions of the country where
the water service lines were non-metallic or have been replaced by non-metallic
piping (per the local Comcast tech staff).

scott

I agree, for new, recent contruction. But what was proposed was
to send the OP off on a search for things like CATV, phone,
and even the electric panel that are
connected to a water pipe and that such a connection is "no
longer code". That to me at least, implies that it's something
that is wrong and possibly the source of his shock problem.
In fact, there are millions of older homes where the cable
TV is bonded to a cold water pipe. Nothing wrong,
inherently unsafe, or that needs to be fixed. In fact, it's
still code compliant to ground a CATV cable to a water pipe,
under certain circumstances.

When there is a metal water service pipe (10ft...) it is always code
compliant to connect the entry protectors to the pipe, but now only
within 5 ft of entry to the house.

I am too lazy to look up rules for if the pipe is "bonded" (plastic
service pipe).

You are easily the "most right". I don''t understand why this is as
difficult as it seems to be.