Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocked!

On Monday, October 28, 2013 6:49:37 PM UTC-4, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 10-28-2013, 12:17, wrote:

Here for the record is what you said:

"If you want to do something before help arrives, I might*look* (but not

touch) for any clamps with wires that are attached to your water supply

lines. Incoming phone terminals, CATV lines, the circuit box area and the

furnace areas are places you might find a ground wire connection (no longer

code). "

You looked at "no longer code" and saw "wrong"

Not obvious what he meant, but he didn't _say_ "wrong"

I agree it's not obvious what he meant. But when you tell
s novice who is having a problem to go look for something
and if you find it, it's
"no longer code", what do you think they might infer?
Seems reasonable to me that they would infer that it needs
to be corrected and that it has something to do with his
shock problem.

And then the statement itself that it's no longer code
is wrong, unless you think a wire going from the panel
to a metal cold water pipe
is a code violation. A metal water service line can
serve as one of the grounding electrodes and the metal
water system of the house has to be bonded to the panel.
So, seeing a wire connection from the panel to a water
pipe is permissible under current code.

It is also currently code compliant to ground an incoming CATV,
phone wire, etc to a water pipe provided it's within 5 ft
of where it enters the building.