Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocked!

On Monday, October 28, 2013 10:36:40 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

Not very likely IMO. Just because his house has screwed up

wiring, doesn't mean the neighbor's house does.

Your opinion isn't worth very much where someone's life could be at risk.

It's worth a lot more than yours. I'm an EE for starters.

Now you're off in true lala land. Since when is it no longer

code to have those things grounded?

Read carefully again, Trader. I know it's hard when you get angry and are

determined to turn things personal. I *never* said it wasn't code to have

those things grounded.

"If you want to do something before help arrives, I might *look* (but not
touch) for any clamps with wires that are attached to your water supply
lines. Incoming phone terminals, CATV lines, the circuit box area and the
furnace areas are places you might find a ground wire connection (no longer
code). "

You did say that it's no longer code. He goes to his panel.
There is a ground wire running from it to his metal water service
pipe. What's wrong with that? You've left him with the impression
that something is wrong with it, that it's no longer code,
needs to be fixed, has something to do with his problem.

He finds his CATV and it's grounded to a cold water pipe.
You left him with the impression that something is wrong
with that too.

I said they are places to look for IMPROPER

grounding techniques.

Good grief. How would the OP know a proper grounding
technique from an improper one? There is nothing improper
about a CATV line being grounded to a cold water pipe
where it enters the building.

The electrician is likely going to want to know about

every place a wire is connected to a water pipe. Fred can assist by mapping

those out before he arrives. Very simple.

That's the only part that makes sense.

At least Philo knew I was specifically talking about ground wire connections

made to water pipes at random places in the house.

The circuit panel is a random place?

That's very clear to

anyone but a raging flamer like you. Is that still code in NJ? I doubt it.

They stopped approving such grounding methods *precisely* because of what's

happened in Fred's case. It's too easy for a repair using plastic plumbing

materials that then makes such clamp grounds located far from the circuit

panel ineffective.

You might want to check your facts on that one. In new
construction today they bring the phone, cable, etc
in at the same point as the electrical service. There they
use a common inter-system bonding point that ties it all
together with the building grounding system. However it's
required that CATV be grounded near where it enters the
building. And if the building doesn't have a modern, inter-system
grounding point, eg it's a 50 year old house, it's perfectly
code compliant to use a cold water pipe near where the cable
enters the buidling.

You have a cite that says otherwise, provide it.

In fact they all are

supposed to be grounded. Good grief. And to add to the foolishness,

what purpose is it going to serve for Fred to go looking for

anything when he obviously doesn't have the skills to diagnose

this serious problem?

"Good grief?" Have you morphed into Charly Brown from Peanuts? Will you

ever get your head on straight? It's code to have them grounded PROPERLY.

And it's not a code violation for the CATV, phone, etc to be
grounded to a cold water pipe in older construction.

Attaching grounding clamps to different pipes located around the house, as

may be the case here (we don't really know) is no longer code, AFAIK.

It's not done that way for new construction, but see above
regarding that it is permissible to use a cold water pipe on
older homes.

I love it when you let your anger take over, Trader. It's so *easy* to make

you look like an angry fool who has more interest in slamming someone you're

mad at rather than attempting to help the OP solve the problem. It's sad

because your diagnostic skills are usually quite good but they evaporate

like rain in Death Valley when you go on the warpath. Like now.

Try checking the NEC and then see who the fool is.

Ever wonder why the fence lady never came back? It might have had something

to do with your bellicose nature and your rather dumb advice to call the

cops or file a lawsuit. Just because someone temporarily piled up some dirt

on her lawn (charitable interpretation - it looked like bare dirt) trying to

improve the property. Jeez.

Oh my, I scared away the "fence lady". Good grief.

Remember that *you* turned this thread personal, Trader. I'm just finishing

what you insisted on starting.

Try reading the NEC and then get back to us.