Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Shocked!

On 10/28/2013 09:38 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I'm guessing that it was only the basement because that's the only
faucet with metal handles in the house. Then he noticed it on a toilet
shutoff valve, older models of which also would have metal handles.
You'd think the kitchen faucet would as well, but some of them have
"chrome" plated plastic handles including some better brands.

Good observation. I think what we're seeing is that when he's in contact
with metal touching the supply lines and touching something that might be
connected to the drain he's getting a shock.

It's far more likely the supply lines have been repaired and are no longer
in good contact with the ground than the drain lines got interrupted
somehow. Touching the J trap under the sink with your body while turning
the shut-off valve could present a live-to-ground circuit through Fred with
just enough current to tingle.

However, touching a metal shower handle or arm while one's feet are in
contact with the floor drain will pass current through the OP, too. For as
long as it takes for him to fall down dead.

)-:

I second the recommendation to just not touch the piping until the
problem is isolated. If OP has to take a shower I would check for
voltage on pipe with voltmeter and then turn off main breaker and verify
that issue has gone away.

Good idea. I would even check for current AFTER I turned off the main
breaker because we still don't know where the current is coming from.

Yeah, you'll be taking a shower in the dark,
but it beats the heck out of being found electrified in a shower stall.

Amen.

As others have said, CHECK with voltmeter or test light though. It is
unlikely but still theoretically possible that the problem may be
originating outside the house, or prior to the main breaker (which can
be really dangerous.)

There are SO MANY potential causes that it's really best to be safe, not
sorry. I would call the power company about this just to make sure that the
neighbors are safe.

--
Bobby G.

DEFINITELY if there is voltage present on a metal water pipe or faucet
with the main breaker turned off the power company needs to be notified
IMMEDIATELY as that would imply that the problem is either with an
unfused service entrance conductor touching a water pipe (VERY VERY
DANGEROUS) or another problem completely outside the house, which is
going to likely be not OP's problem but the power company's problem.

If that is the case, taking a shower is right out of the question, and
the issue needs to be addressed immediately.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel