Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Glue line creep -- yellow glue

On 10/27/2013 11:55 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Oh - no doubt there is a great deal of science behind the development of
wood glues. That was not my question to -Mike-.

Oh, I missed what caught your attention...I don't think that's quite
what the article/text he read probably said, exactly...

Here's a link to a pretty good exposition from US FPL. I _know_ I've
seen a report there that had extensive lab test data on ultimate bond
strength vs clamping pressures but I can't seem to find it at the
moment. This author doesn't include such data and does comment that
starving a joint is possible but he's mostly worried about the porosity
"sucking up" too much and moving it away from the joint internally
rather than squeeze-out if there's insufficient available.

But, it does have excellent discussion of the chemistry/mechanical
bonding processes...

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1991/river91a.pdf

If you've not spent some time poking around the US FPL website, it's
well worth a few afternoons on otherwise dull days for anybody...the
Handbook is invaluable to at least know of its existence.