Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocked!

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:04:38 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in :

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now

you're

making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

Do you feel lucky?

NO, you should not. It might be the last shower you ever take.

Agreed. Now that we know a little more about the situation, if the supply

pipes are energized and they are not grounded it's very likely the drain

pipe IS grounded and taking a shower will complete the circuit to ground.

Through you.

If you can't get an electrician in on Monday I would consider calling either

the electric and.or the water company. If *your* pipes are energized it

could be very likely that your neighbor's are, too.

Not very likely IMO. Just because his house has screwed up
wiring, doesn't mean the neighbor's house does.

It could present a

hazard beyond your house and they have the proper test equipment to trace

the fault.

If you want to do something before help arrives, I might *look* (but not

touch) for any clamps with wires that are attached to your water supply

lines. Incoming phone terminals, CATV lines, the circuit box area and the

furnace areas are places you might find a ground wire connection (no longer

code).

Now you're off in true lala land. Since when is it no longer
code to have those things grounded? In fact they all are
supposed to be grounded. Good grief. And to add to the foolishness,
what purpose is it going to serve for Fred to go looking for
anything when he obviously doesn't have the skills to diagnose
this serious problem?