Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_8_] CW[_8_] is offline

Default Glue line creep -- yellow glue

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

dpb wrote:
On 10/27/2013 10:06 AM, scritch wrote:
Thinner gluelines are better for minimizing the effect because
there's less bulk material there. Which is why higher clamping
pressure is _a_good_thing_ (tm) besides the empirical observation
from testing that it improves ultimate joint bond strength.

"Fine Woodworking" magazine did a clamping pressure vs. strength test
some years ago and found that in almost all case, more pressure was
better. Reading that article changed my clamping life and my joints
are much better than they used to be.

I recall it...and it only confirmed what previous work at US Forest
Products Lab and elsewhere has shown...

Only to a point though... correct? Everything I've ever heard was that
there is a point where too much pressure will squeeze out too much glue
which will result in a weakened joint. Maybe that has been proven not to be
true, but based on that, I generally clamp until I begin to get squeeze out
and maybe give it a little more tweak for good measure, but stop at that
point. That said, I spread my glue and try to avoid excess glue on the
surface prior to clamping. This is one area where I do not agree with
things I've seen Brian do in his videos. He likes to lay on the glue!
The Titebond website says clamping pressure up to 250 PSI should be used. I
don't think home woodworkers have to be concerned about over clamping.