Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue line creep -- yellow glue

dpb wrote:
On 10/27/2013 2:26 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Only to a point though... correct? Everything I've ever heard was
that there is a point where too much pressure will squeeze out too
much glue which will result in a weakened joint. Maybe that has
been proven not to be true, ...

Basically, research has shown that there really is no such thing as
being able to "starve" a joint by excess pressure with anything
approaching a practical application of clamps and cauls that one would
use for normal glue-ups. Hmmm....I can't seem to find the link just
offhand and don't want to take the time to really look now, but the
kinds of clamping pressures that were used are in the
_way_on_up_there_ (tm) ranges--actually in the incredible kinds of
numbers compared to what we normally think of as clamping pressures.

Very good. I did read a long time ago that only a very small amount of glue
has to survive the clamps in order to make a good bond and that in fact too
much glue might be counterproductive, so what you say above makes sense.

--

-Mike-