Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to test NiMH batteries?

In article ,
Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:

Thomas Distributing show that they distribute Eneloop NiMH batteries which I
wonder about in OP.

I did check with Panasonic and they say they recommend NiMH so I assume I
shouldnt be using NiCAD and cant recharge Lithium ones. So how far can I
push the milliamps realistically? And, again, is there any way of testing
whatever I do end up with please?

I suppose I can just charge them along with the present batteries and leave
them next to each other for a few days and see how long they last before they
die. But that says nothing about how long any batteries I get are going to
LAST?

Depends on how you use them. For the same chemistry, the only reasonable
way to increase the mA-Hr capacity is to put more electrode inside, and
that means using a thinner insulator between the plates. A thinner
insulator means a higher leakage, and so a faster self-discharge.

So the only way you're likely to actually *get* 2100 mA-Hr out of those
cells is if you use them a lot. If what you mostly do is let the device
sit around, the cells will be empty when you need them despite the
higher capacity.

As a personal example, when I used regular NiMH cells in a little camera
I carried around "just in case", it was nearly "empty" almost every time
I wanted to use it. And the spare cells I carried would be dead, too.
Changing to Eneloop cells, which had a lower mA-Hr capacity, gave me a
camera that was always ready to go, even after a couple or three months
of sitting around. And when the in-use cells finally did go empty, the
spares were still nearly full despite having been charged at the same
time.

Isaac