Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best hold in thin alumium?

On 2013-10-26, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 26 Oct 2013 04:04:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-10-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 25 Oct 2013 02:09:38 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... HF Rivnut tool (sorta) ... ]

Just very poorly photographed, then. :-)

You expect otherwise in today's life? Half the pics I see lately were
taken by gasp damned cellphones by their overcaffeinated owners.
'sCriminal, it is.

:-)

If they had just photographed from a bit more of an angle, to
show the shape of the Rivnuts, it would have been a big help. The tool
could also be used with Nutserts, however. Just a bit different amount
of crimp travel.

Low budget photog.

Low budget, and nobody present who knew what angle of view would
give the customer information which s/he needs. (But then again, isn't
that HF's basic principle of operation? :-)

If *I* had been photographing it, I would have included one
photo showing the side view of a brand new Rivnut sitting beside one
which had just been crimped (without the sheet metal to obscure the
view), so people could see how it is supposed to work. :-)

[ ... ]

Glad that you were able to walk away from both. Always
remember, "Perfect is the enemy of good enough."

Thanks, and I agree.

I've experienced the too high alcohol intake problem in a
family member (who is no longer with us.)

Ours, too. One aunt, an alky who I dearly loved, accidentally shot
her husband who had broken into the bathroom where she was going to
commit suicide. She accomplished it a week later. Sad.

Ouch! Accidentally? She was going to use the gun to commit
suicide? And when he broke in, he startled her enough so the weapon
discharged?

In the case I mentioned, there were no firearms present. She
fell and broke a hip, then bailed out of the rehab place early so she
could get home to her alcohol and tobacco.

Later, in the nursing home, she re-broke the hip, and when on the
operating table that time, her heart stopped and was restarted, but
there was no brain function left. The heart kept running for another
week and a half.

[ ... switch over to crimp tool from Rivnuts ... ]

Probably so. I know that in crimp terminal sets, I commonly use
red (22-18 ga), Blue (16-14), and Yellow (12-10), and occasionally small
yellow (28-24 IIRC), along which much less frequent (and not to be found
in most kits) Red (8), Blue (6), and I have crimpers and a few examples
of Yellow (4), Red (2), Blue (0), Yellow (2-0), red (3-0) and blue (4-0)
all of those with hydraulic crimp heads. The small yellow are also not
in the kits. But there are *never* enough crimp terminals in the kits
to even finish a typical project. (Not to mention not enough of a given
ring size or forked terminal size to cover the project, either. And I
expect the same from Rivnut kits. Occasionally, I've found boxes of
1000 of a given size, like 6-32. But for many years, I've had a few of
a given size, and had to scrimp on where I used them.

I've done my share of balling up thin wire, putting in a few drips of
solder, and making the 20ga wire fit the 10ga connector when the
proper terminal wasn't available.

Since the standards for military projects allow two or three
smaller wires in a larger terminal, you can get away with folding a wire
double or triple before crimping. I've been known to do that. One of
the reasons why I like to have the small yellow (26-22 ga without
checking what is stamped on the crimpers. (I Just took a set of them
downstairs to the electronics shop earlier today, so I can't *easily*
check. (But the red ones sort of vary -- the older crimpers are marked
22-16 Ga, but later ones and later terminals are marked 22-18 Ga --
eliminating the overlap with the next size up (blue).

[ ... Back to Rivnuts .. ]

Ideally, someone else (who knows what s/he is doing, sets the
projection of the nose on the tools for a particular project, and then
the assembly people just put each Rivnut in properly without trouble.
(Another reason for having spares is to get the tool set just right,
which requires a few test rivets to be expended. :-)

Nah, not if you're GOOD. polishes fingernails on chest

Maybe -- but I know that I sometimes need to try a couple,
especially if it has been a while since I last used it, and don't
remember what thickness metal it was set for, and what grip range
Rivnut, too. :-)

[ ... and Anti-seize ... ]

I used the anti-seize on the plugs in my MGA, which was fairly
difficult to get to. :-)

I rode in an MGTD to the QA job we were talking about. There was a
gaping hole in the floorboard on the passenger side which made rainy
days interesting. I'm sure glad we didn't live in England at the
time. SoCal was bad enough. Heck, it got down to 40 there sometimes,
in the middle of winter!

Knowing what I know now, I'd have helped him fit and weld in a new
floorboard.

Hmm ... that would to have worked for the MGA. The foorboards
are plywood, screwed down over lips on the trans tunnel, and into welded
on nuts on the bottom of the raill, where they could rust in place.

The manual had you pull the seats, floorboards, and trans tunnel
to access changing the clutch. I did it that way *once*, and then
figured out how to do it leaving all of that in there.

And -- on my first one (a '57) -- someone before had replaced
the official rear hanger for the muffler with a standard US one, which
broke, bowing the exhaust tube up into contact with the plywood, which
charred and sent an undesirable smell into the cockpit. Luckily, this
was winter, and I pulled off and dumped some handfuls of snow on it,
then I smashed a tin can flat and put it between the pipe and the
floorboard, so I could get home and fix it *right*. :-) (I went to the
local dealer and bought the proper support bracket -- and I think that
was the only Whitworth hardware on the car. I had to use a crescent
wrench on it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--