Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Glue line creep -- yellow glue

On 10/26/2013 2:37 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I have never heard an explanation of why aliphatic glue creeps.
I have always taken it as gospil.

I have a hard time understanding how a glue that creates a joint
stronger than the wood itself mostly will creep.

Can someone explain to me why this is the case... any one understand the
reason?

I have no scientific evidence, but a sneaking suspicion that it is a
combination of many factors, among others: type of wood and its
dimensional instability due to relative humidity/temperature; cut of
wood and grain (flatsawn moves in width, quartersawn in thickness); type
of glue and amount used; clamping pressure, et al.

IOW just about anything that causes dimensional instability in a glued
up joint, including finish.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net