Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8008 Ignoramus8008 is offline

Default How to straighten a 5x10ft, 3/4" steel plate

On 2013-10-20, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 10/19/2013 7:52 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 10/19/2013 4:44 PM, Ignoramus23452 wrote:
I have a 3/4" thick steel plate that is 3/4" thick. It is bowed in the
middle along its length. The worst un-straightness is in the middle
and it is appx. 1/4". I would like to straighten it. How can I
realistically do it, if at all.

I would turn it so the bulge is up, place a 1/2 stick under each end and
let your kids jump on it.

Paul

As long as the kids are driving trucks!

OK, seriously: I can deflect this plate enough to become straight,
temporarily. As soon as I remove the deflecting force (forklift or
jack with chain), the plate returns back to original position.

The "ridge" goes along the longer dimension.