Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Peening a weld

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 05:39:41 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:12:42 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been reading about stress relief and general metalworking. If a person wanted to prevent stress cracks in somethign like a t bucket frame, is it a good idea to peen weld areas? Can an air operated needle descaler work? Is hand peening possible?

If it is better to not grind a weld, is there a way to make a weld "appear" better? What I am getting at is the case of flux core mig welding. It is hard at least for me to make it appear nice looking.

One of the "secrets of the welding trade" is a can of flat black spray
paint. A quick squirt of black paint makes the poorest weld look good
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.