Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Have you installed or considered installing solar PV panels?Need help with a project

On 18/10/2013 15:37, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 18 October 2013 14:00 FHerman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Today, 12:37 PM
Hello all,

I am a third year student at the University of East Anglia researching
the decision process behind why people choose to install or not install
solar photovoltaic (PV) panels on their homes in the UK for my
dissertation. Also to save any confusion the survey focuses on solar
photovoltaic (PV) panels which produce electricity not solar thermal,
that heat water.

If you have ever considered installing, are going to install or have
installed solar PV panels on your home and live in the UK, please could
you take 5 minutes to complete the linked survey below. Any responses
would be greatly appreciated to assist in my third year project. This
survey is intended for UK resident only, sorry if you are not in the UK
but thank you for your interest.

Survey link: http://tinyurl.com/p8quf2q

If you also know of anyone else who has decided to install or not
install solar PV panels could you please share this survey with them as
this would be a great help.

Thank you very much for your time,

F Herman

Hi,

Better survey than most of the stuff posted here by random students - and
your post is well written, informative and courteous. You sir are already in
the top 10% of people in your class

However, there seems to me, to be a problem with one question:

"Self sufficient energy production
Not relying on the national grid for your electricity"

Current PV setups require the grid supply to be present to function (non
islanding operation) so you inherently (with off the shelf PV panel setups
that *most* pepole would install) cannot be non reliant on the Grid.

AIUI most people would want the fit payments so would need a grid tie
system.
I don't think standalone systems qualify.

You can install an additional inverter/charger and some batteries to
cover the impending power cuts if you have a few grand to spare.