Junior Member

Default Have you installed or considered installing solar PV panels? Need help with a project

Today, 12:37 PM
Hello all,

I am a third year student at the University of East Anglia researching the decision process behind why people choose to install or not install solar photovoltaic (PV) panels on their homes in the UK for my dissertation. Also to save any confusion the survey focuses on solar photovoltaic (PV) panels which produce electricity not solar thermal, that heat water.

If you have ever considered installing, are going to install or have installed solar PV panels on your home and live in the UK, please could you take 5 minutes to complete the linked survey below. Any responses would be greatly appreciated to assist in my third year project. This survey is intended for UK resident only, sorry if you are not in the UK but thank you for your interest.

Survey link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1P1V...yRYL8/viewform

If you also know of anyone else who has decided to install or not install solar PV panels could you please share this survey with them as this would be a great help.

Thank you very much for your time,

F Herman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you might get a better response if you post using your uea.ac.uk
email address and giving a direct link to your survey (as you did
elsewhere) rather than via diybanter and with a tinyurl.

OTOH it was good to see that
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1P1V...yRYL8/viewform
included a contact on the UEA staff who can presumably verify that you
are not collecting "leads" for yet another batch of cold callers selling
PV panels

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Survey link: http://tinyurl.com/p8quf2q

If you also know of anyone else who has decided to install or not
install solar PV panels could you please share this survey with them as
this would be a great help.

Thank you very much for your time,

F Herman

Hi,

Better survey than most of the stuff posted here by random students - and
your post is well written, informative and courteous. You sir are already in
the top 10% of people in your class

However, there seems to me, to be a problem with one question:

"Self sufficient energy production
Not relying on the national grid for your electricity"

Current PV setups require the grid supply to be present to function (non
islanding operation) so you inherently (with off the shelf PV panel setups
that *most* pepole would install) cannot be non reliant on the Grid.

If I find any more, I'll post here.

If you are reading this and respond, please promote yourself to the top 1%
of the class of people who post surveys to USENET ;-

All the best,

Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

You sir are already ...

Hmmm, "F" is "Freya", which suggests to me that you've made an incorrect
assumption, but then again, maybe I have.

However, there seems to me, to be a problem with one question:

"Self sufficient energy production
Not relying on the national grid for your electricity"

Yes; I (and no doubt others here) made the same point in my survey reply.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 18 October 2013 16:09 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d-i-
y:

Tim Watts wrote:

You sir are already ...

Hmmm, "F" is "Freya", which suggests to me that you've made an incorrect
assumption, but then again, maybe I have.

Where did it say Freya?

If so, I apologise - feel free to handbag me ;-

However, there seems to me, to be a problem with one question:

"Self sufficient energy production
Not relying on the national grid for your electricity"

Yes; I (and no doubt others here) made the same point in my survey reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Er...

Further to this survey, the lead researcher (Freya Herman) is conducting in depth interviews on this subject. If you are interested in taking part in these interviews, there is the opportunity to leave your email address at the.........snip

And/or last week's "test run" where we weedled out some bugs too...

Jim K

Junior Member

Thank you all for taking an interest in my project, the positive feedback on a whole is great to hear.

Robin thank you for your feedback, as far as I was aware when posting I was putting the proper url link and not a tinyurl link as I have been on other sites. Also I wasn't aware I could post directly with my uea.ac.uk. so I made account with the site to post. The full url link is what is still shown to me in my post so I guess it has been changed when posting. Internet forums and how to use them is something I am learning a lot about through this project and I guess I still have a bit to go

Tim Watts and Jeremy Nicoll thank you for your time and interest in my project. I agree there are some problems around that question that have been highlighted a bit from the results, but at large it has been fine. I do understand that a grid connection is still needed for conventional PV installation. My reasoning for putting that question in there was to get an indication of how people feel about producing their own electricity separate from the grid, not necessarily if they were off grid or not. Also through my research I did pick up on people undertaking projects aiming to be 'grid free' and/or produce enough for their use, as well as small off grid communities in areas of Wales and Scotland. I know this doesn't cover the problems completely but I hope it helps. In hindsight I could have been clearer with my question, and this will be something I address in my final report if needed.

Thank you all again for all your time and feedback, it really is appreciated.

Also thank you to everyone who has taken the time to complete my survey so far, every response is a huge help.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K[_3_] View Post
Er...

Further to this survey, the lead researcher (Freya Herman) is conducting in depth interviews on this subject. If you are interested in taking part in these interviews, there is the opportunity to leave your email address at the.........snip

And/or last week's "test run" where we weedled out some bugs too...

Jim K
Hi Jim K, sorry for the wait over the interview process. I am still putting together the logistics to my interviews due to some issues arising over time constraints and waiting for a sufficient number of survey responses (it’s the same one that has been posted on other forums) before conducting my interviews. I will still be doing a small number of interviews at the end of the month, but I have not selected who they will be with yet. Again sorry for the delay following my first email and any inconvenience this may have caused you, but I aim to be getting back to people early next week to progress things further.

Thank you for your response,

Freya.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2013 15:37, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

AIUI most people would want the fit payments so would need a grid tie
system.
I don't think standalone systems qualify.

You can install an additional inverter/charger and some batteries to
cover the impending power cuts if you have a few grand to spare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 18 October 2013 18:06 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Er...

Further to this survey, the lead researcher (Freya Herman) is conducting
in depth interviews on this subject. If you are interested in taking part
in these interviews, there is the opportunity to leave your email address
at the.........snip

And/or last week's "test run" where we weedled out some bugs too...

Jim K

I didn't read any of that except "taking part" and "email"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 18 October 2013 18:20 FHerman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Fair enough :-|

Hope it goes well!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:20:06 +0200, FHerman wrote:

Also thank you to everyone who has taken the time to complete my survey
so far, every response is a huge help.

You are welcome and thank you for following up.

I've completed it as a "no" person and there is a page of questions
about 3/4 through that are rather difficult to answer as they are
more related to those that have or are going to install a PV system.
I had to go back several pages to make sure I had said "no"...

And the question about other installed renewable energy sources uses
radio buttons so you can't select say Solar Thermal and Wood Chip
Boiler.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin thank you for your feedback, as far as I was aware when posting
I was putting the proper url link and not a tinyurl link as I have
been on other sites. Also I wasn't aware I could post directly with my
uea.ac.uk. so I made account with the site to post. The full url link
is what is still shown to me in my post so I guess it has been
changed when posting.

Thanks. I didn't know DIYBanter mucked about with posts that much.

Internet forums and how to use them is
something I am learning a lot about through this project and I guess
I still have a bit to go

Take care - there are folk here who could spend a long time telling you
about the wonders of bulletin boards, NNTP, Usenet etc!

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Have you installed and considered installing solar PV panels? Needhelp with a project. [email protected] UK diy 5 October 15th 13 12:25 AM
Solar Panels Fredrick Skoog UK diy 30 June 3rd 08 12:32 PM
T&G wood panels installed in diaganol pattern on a wall muncybob Woodworking 2 June 13th 07 11:29 PM
Building and installing passive solar heating panels Morris Dovey Woodworking 14 April 2nd 07 04:08 AM
Solar Panels michaelangelo7 UK diy 143 March 12th 06 10:17 AM