Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yet another electrical question on a WW tool

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:50:45 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 10/16/2013 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 10/16/2013 11:25 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill Leonhardt" wrote:

OK this is an update on my issue:

Came home from work and tried the jointer again on the original
circuit. (Some times things heal themselves.) Ran for about 4
minutes and popped the GFCI. Tried a third GFCI circuit and it popped
right away.

At work today I called an EE and asked him about the NEC. He said
that the code said that in an un-finished basement used for storage or
work, the outlets needed to be protected by a GFCI. I guess all I
have to do is finish the basement and I won't need no stinkin' GFCI.

Not true. A finished basement needs gfci too. I had put them in, and
when inspected we talked about them, they had to be on each ckt.

You can also buy a GFCI circuit breaker for about $90, or so--which may
outweigh installing multiple GFCI duplex outlets--your call.
It would depend on how many you have, I guess.

Each ckt must have one,I have about 10 ckts thats 10 breakers.
Would rather use the outlet type, cheap enough to replace.

They also tend to be closer to where you're working, which shouldn't
be important but too often is. In a previous house, we had one GFCI
breaker for the three bathrooms (and outside outlets). It wasn't very
convenient to have to step out of the shower and walk out onto the
front porch to reset the GFCI.