Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yet another electrical question on a WW tool

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:37:12 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 10/16/2013 06:19 PM, Bill wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 10/16/2013 11:25 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill Leonhardt" wrote:

OK this is an update on my issue:

Came home from work and tried the jointer again on the original
circuit. (Some times things heal themselves.) Ran for about 4
minutes and popped the GFCI. Tried a third GFCI circuit and it popped
right away.

At work today I called an EE and asked him about the NEC. He said
that the code said that in an un-finished basement used for storage or
work, the outlets needed to be protected by a GFCI. I guess all I
have to do is finish the basement and I won't need no stinkin' GFCI.

Not true. A finished basement needs gfci too. I had put them in, and
when inspected we talked about them, they had to be on each ckt.

You can also buy a GFCI circuit breaker for about $90, or so--which may
outweigh installing multiple GFCI duplex outlets--your call.
It would depend on how many you have, I guess.

OK, back to the problem. Connected the jointer to a non GFCI circuit
and it ran OK for about 10-15 minutes (no load).

Here's my plan.

1. I'm gonna pull the motor out although it's a real pain to get to
because I really want to check carefully for dust build-up. Also, I
want to see if 220VAC is a possibility.

2. I'm gonna get a brand new, 20A GFCI outlet for that circuit.

3. If the trouble persists, I'm gonna run a dedicated 20A line
(non-GFCI) to the jointer and get on with my life.

I may skip step 2. Got to think on it more.
Based on the above, the first thing I would do is verify whether motor
can be wired for 240V.

If so, problem is solved.

Rewire and move on.

If not, then assuming you don't already have one, get a 50 ft, 10-3
molded cord set and use it to plug jointer into non GFCI receptacle
and get on with life.

Why a 10-3 rather than a less expensive 12-3?

Less voltage drop at the motor terminals.

Last choice would be to replace GFCI receptacle.

BTW, a coat of paint on the walls could be called "Finished" in some
parts of the country.

Have fun.

Lew

You only need one GFCI up stream from the rest of the outlets - just
like a GFCI breaker for the entire circuit. No need for GFCIs on each
outlet.

Good point. Thanks!

Make sure you get them in the right way 'round. They don't work well
the other way. DAMHIKT. :-(