Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Peening a weld

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 06:12:42 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have been reading about stress relief and general metalworking. If a person wanted to prevent stress cracks in somethign like a t bucket frame, is it a good idea to peen weld areas? Can an air operated needle descaler work? Is hand peening possible?

Most of the weld peening I've seen done was basically an attempt at
counteracting the bead shrinkage that normally occurs. I watch a bloke
weld a broken mounting foot on a cast iron motor base. He veed it out
with a grinder and welded it with 6011 rod. He'd run a short bead and
then peen the hell out of it. Then go away for a while the weld cooled
and come back and weld, and peen, a little more. The job took him
several days and apparently was successful as I asked him sometime
later about it and he said "Well, it never came back".

For those who will likely mention high nickel rod, it isn't available
in small town shop in rural Thailand :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.