Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Can mice get thru 1/4" hardware cloth?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:02:18 AM UTC-7, philo* wrote:
On 10/16/2013 03:28 AM, wrote:

I'm getting a used trailer house for guests and storage on my farm.

From past experience I found that trailer houses attract mice. Once

they get into the insulation under the floor, the damage begins. I

considered covering the entire underside of the trailer with sheet

steel, but it would be very costly, and probably difficult to install

too. Someone said they knew someone who used window screen and said it

worked, but that they had to regularly check for loose edges because

mice and other critters would loosen it. I got to thinking about that

1/4" hardware cloth. That stuff is comparable in price to window

screen, but much more durable. Probably easier to attach too, because

it can be nailed with roofing nails, not just staples, and it can be

folded at the edges to go under the skirting flange along the edges of

the trailer. Plus, it can be screwed in place in spots where it might

need to be removed, such as by pipes. And it can be wired together if

there is no solid wood in spots, along seams. Plus, I'm sure it will

last much longer than screen.

The question is whether mice can get thru the 1/4" holes. I know they

can manage to get into small holes, but that size seems to be a little

too small. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I assure you they will easily be able to get through that...

even if the holes are small they will easily expand the size and come

through.

I had a mouse problem a while back with my own house and used that

expandable foam insulation to fill the holes. Never had a mouse again.

I used the same stuff to plug up holes in concrete block where pipes used to run. 8" thick by 8x8". Mouse hole appeared almost instantly in all of them.

Harry K