Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome
Alan Meyer Alan Meyer is offline

Default Can mice get thru 1/4" hardware cloth?

On 10/16/2013 04:28 AM, wrote:

The question is whether mice can get thru the 1/4" holes. I know they
can manage to get into small holes, but that size seems to be a little
too small. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

I haven't tried it but I did a Google search to find mouse measurements.
The most relevant page I found was this one that shows the
measurements of mouse skulls.

http://craniofacial.jax.org/characteristics.html

In the measurements this guy made, the minimum height and width of an 8
week old mouse of the types he measured was a female of one of the types
that appeared to me (by subtracting the +/- from the average) to have a
skull height of around 8.6 mm and a width of around 9.7 mm, with most
mice being a bit larger than that.

Maybe something else in the mouse is more limiting than the skull size,
though they seem to be pretty good at squeezing their bodies into small
spaces.

1/4 inch = 6.35 mm. Could a mouse get through that?

Maybe one younger than 8 weeks could. Maybe a strong one that could bow
out the wire a bit could. Maybe a smart one that found an irregularity
in the mesh could.

Or maybe not.

I would think that the vast majority of mice couldn't get through but
the margin of error here seems to me to be such that you wouldn't be
100% guaranteed to exclude every one of them.

Alan

http://web.ncsu.edu/abstract/science...ouse-a-pirate/