Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Yet another electrical question on a WW tool

Bill Leonhardt wrote:
OK this is an update on my issue:

Came home from work and tried the jointer again on the original circuit. (Some times things heal themselves.) Ran for about 4 minutes and popped the GFCI. Tried a third GFCI circuit and it popped right away.

At work today I called an EE and asked him about the NEC. He said that the code said that in an un-finished basement used for storage or work, the outlets needed to be protected by a GFCI. I guess all I have to do is finish the basement and I won't need no stinkin' GFCI.

OK, back to the problem. Connected the jointer to a non GFCI circuit and it ran OK for about 10-15 minutes (no load).

Here's my plan.

1. I'm gonna pull the motor out although it's a real pain to get to because I really want to check carefully for dust build-up. Also, I want to see if 220VAC is a possibility.

2. I'm gonna get a brand new, 20A GFCI outlet for that circuit.

3. If the trouble persists, I'm gonna run a dedicated 20A line (non-GFCI) to the jointer and get on with my life.

To those "in the know". If there is "leakage" like this, does it mean
that their might be risk of shock to the user or fire (from
overheating?). Just curious.
I've already picked up a new question I've saving for I look at used
equipment for sale: "Yes, But will it run on a GFCI-protected circuit?" : )

I may skip step 2. Got to think on it more.

Thanks for all the responses, especially since it was only marginally a WW topic. I love this group.

Bill Leonhardt
On Monday, October 14, 2013 7:50:23 PM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
In my shop I have two general purpose electrical circuits that I connect everything to except the big machines. They are 20 amp (120VAC)circuits with 12 gauge wire. Each circuit starts with a GFCI outlet and then a chain of normal outlets. All outlets are 20 amp.

On one circuit I have my Yorkcraft 6" jointer plugged in. I've had this a few years. It's been lightly used with no prior problems.

This evening I was jointing a piece of 1 x 6 maple set to take off less that 1/64 per pass. After a bit, the GFI would pop. Thinking this might be the GFCI outlet, I connected the jointer to the second circuit. Same problem. The only other piece of equipment running was the DC which is on a separate 240VAC circuit.

The circuit breaker (20 amp)never pops. The GFCI outlet is maybe 6' from the panel and the second outlet (jointer) is about 8-10' from that.

The jointer has a 1 hp motor (running at 120VAC)and, when I pulled the cover off, the motor was barely warm. No dust buildup either since I have this connected to my DC.

I have done a baby crib's worth of (soft)maple and 2 large bookcase's worth of cherry without incident. The piece I was working on was a piece of the leftover maple.

Any thought why this would cause the GFCI to pop and not the circuit breaker? Also, what would I look for with respect to the cause. I bought the jointer new 8 or 9 years ago and it has been lightly used.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt