Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On 10/14/2013 6:40 PM, wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2013 7:22:08 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I gave up on corporate America in the early 1980's due to Affirmative

Action where women and minorities were promoted all around me and they

couldn't do the job but I could. They didn't want to pay for my skills

so I went out on my own and they had to call me when the morons couldn't

make anything work. I did take an overseas job for The SDI program but

that wasn't permanent. I do a lot of contract labor when I can but I

don't have to tolerate ANY male bovine droppings. I can fire customers

and have done so when they become troublesome and start to believe I'm

their employee. Me and JH will often be the last people called in to fix

a problem and when we ask, "Why didn't you call us first?" the answer is

often, "You charge too much." I suppose the lack of math comprehension

is due to government school education where management will pay three

different companies $65/hr for a service call who can't fix it right

rather than call us for $85/hr to fix it right the first trip. I know a

guy who spent $100.00, $10.00 at a time trying to get an inkjet

cartridge refilled rather than pay $30.00 for a remanufactured

cartridge. The lack of understanding of simple math among the citizenry

drives me nuts. o_O

TDD

I'm on that list, sadly. I wanted a pressure washer. Electric plug in,

for cleaning stuff at work. Bought one from Ebay, $50, which arrived and

find out it was missing tips. The Sears guys didn't even admit there was

a Craftsman electric pressure washer. Bought a wand and tips at Lowe's

for about $65. Came with hose. Find out the pressure switch on unit 1

was defective. Red Sears, Craftsman. So, I bought a blue Campbell

Hausfield. That was maybe $60 or so. The high pressure housing cracked

after a couple jobs. Plastic!

Went to shop around. Home Depot had one with metal housing, and I've

been using it since. $98 plus tax. So now, I've got about $400 invested

in a $98 pressure washer.

Idiot, reporting, sir!

Another silly thing some people do is find that a
store someplace is selling the same product for $5 less.
Or the fast food place has a coupon there good
for $5 off. So they drive 10 miles farther each way to
get it. So they just used $3.50 in gas, plus
other per mile expense attributable to a car. Then
factor in the time and what have you really saved?

My roommate will drive 10 miles each way to save 10 cents a gallon on
gas. I can't get through to him. o_O

TDD