Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:24:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, October 14, 2013 2:56:59 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in

message

Americans are spending less of their disposible income

on food as time goes by. I looked at the U.S. Department

of Agriculture site. It has that type of information but

it is unavailable due to the "shutdown". There is a

chart he http://tinyurl.com/3yqoses Americans spent

about 23% of their disposable income in 1930. We were

spending about 9.5% of it by 2010.

Of course, that is "at home"expenditure, not total.

When I was a kid, eating out was maybe a once or twice a year thing and

there was no such thing as "fast food". Now, restaurants of all kinds

have proliferated and people eat out frequently; they patronize fast food

places even more frequently.

dadiOH

You are right about eating out in my area it is cheaper eating out then cook

at home

the only thing is when you eat at home you know what are you eating!!!!

Which universe is it that you're living in where it's
cheaper to eat out than cook at home?

It's probably not that far off. We can eat out for $20ish, plus tip.
We spend a *lot* more than $100/wk at the grocery store and that
doesn't include the monthly (six weeks?) trips to Sams to fill the
freezer.