Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Household goods affordability

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:15:48 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
According to the Carpe Diem site one had to work 885 hours in 1959

to earn the same goods as one can earn working 170 hours in 2013.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lrq8suo

One would work about 28 hours to buy a gas stove in 2013 compared to

almost 91 hours in 1959. He has ten other examples of decreasing work

hours needed to buy given items.

But, to use that example... how long will the 2013 gas stove be usefully serviceable relative to the 1958 gas stove? Gotta consider the whole life cycle. I really would like to know if this is just a mistaken impression or able to be supported by statistics, but it seems that a lot of new products are made simply cheaper, not necessarily less expensively. I hope I'm wrong.

nate