Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Household goods affordability

On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:16:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I buy them for $15-$30, tops. Wait until they're on sale. In the

late Winter, it's pretty easy to find long-sleeved shirts (all I wear)

at a very good price. Last year I found a bunch of nice Oxfords for

about $20.

Are these made in America or made overseas? Made overseas, I

agree you can find them at those prices on sale. But at the large

dept stores that typically have the big sales,

Yes, overseas. They're $60 normally.

I haven't seen a made in America dress shirt in years. Not that I specifically

went looking for one, but I sure haven't noticed any. I would

think there are still some manufacturers left, but I bet they

are expensive.

Only custom made, AFAIK. You aren't getting one for $60, either. I

knew a woman who had to have her shirts custom made because of her

sleeve length and collar size (*long* and small). She wore men's

custom-made shirts because it would have cost a bloody fortune to have

them made for a woman (costs a bunch to have the buttons sewn on the

other side, ya' know). They were still well over $100 each. That was

over 20 years ago.

We're on the same page. I believed someone else here claimed
you could get a USA made dress shirt for $60. I think they do still
make some small amount of shirts here, but $60 is more typical
of the everyday retail price of an import shirt.