Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Household goods affordability

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:21:12 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 10/13/13 08:09 am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lucky you. College grads are having trouble find anything much better than
minimum wage jobs, if that.

Much of the problem is the College Grad themselves. Are they
Mechanical engineers? Biologists? No, many of them took 5th Century
Greek sculpture as a major and wonder why they can't find a job.

But not so many years ago employers were telling young people, "We don't
care what kind of degree you have: the mere fact that you have completed
college makes you a more desirable employee."

Perce

There is probably some truth to that, but it is not working. If you
earned a college degree, you know how to learn, have some ambition,
and I can train you to do my job. I, OTOH, will not hire you for a
minimum wage low skill job if you have not finished high school. The
kids that drop out are also losers in the workplace. Poor attendance,
poor work habits, etc. (exceptions are those older than 40 or so)

Many good jobs do not require a degree but trade school. I know a guy
having a hard time finding a HVAC tech for $22 an hour. I have five
supervisors, only one with a degree. If I ranked them in order, he is
probably #4 of 5. The one ranked #1 has the least education, but the
most talent for what we do. And a $65k income.

I wonder if it is too easy to get a college degree these days and
aside from specialized skills, even needed. Engineers, doctors,
pharmacists all need a lot of education, but a degree does not make
you a better middle manager, warehouse supervisor, trucking terminal
manager, and the like.

My son has some schooling, but not a degree. He has some talent in the
medical field (where he makes his living) and was asked if he'd like
to be a doctor or surgeon. His reply, "I don't want to take a pay
cut"