Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Household goods affordability

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:15:48 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

According to the Carpe Diem site one had to work 885 hours in 1959
to earn the same goods as one can earn working 170 hours in 2013.

More he http://tinyurl.com/lrq8suo

One would work about 28 hours to buy a gas stove in 2013 compared to
almost 91 hours in 1959. He has ten other examples of decreasing work
hours needed to buy given items.

Thanks for posting that. I've often used the "how many hours" in
discussions. Prices on many goods have come down and are of better
quality. Such as the color TV. I also recall paying $5 for a really
good white dress shirt (made in USA) in the early 1960's. Not as good
quality, but you can get shirts for $15 at discount stores (made in
some third world country) .