Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Woodworking project

On 10/7/2013 7:46 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Posted some pictures tonight of yesterday's woodworking project. The URL
is:

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/mi...?sort=2&page=1

My woodworking partner is far more attractive than Karl's and
probably works more. Doesn't need trips to the Vet, and cooks for
me after we're done. Well - sometimes. Yesterday it was "I don't
feel like cooking, let's go out to eat...". I have no problem with
that from time to time.

The "his and hers" chainsaws practically left a tear in my eye...

There is a story behind that Bill. Two years ago - or maybe three... my
wife had made the statement that she wanted a "girly" chainsaw. She wanted
one just to cut up the stuff that inevitably falls into our yard, living in
the middle of the woods. We're always picking up tree limbs and the likes.
So, at Christmas time, I hunted for a "girly" chainsaw. Everyone knows how
much patience a guy has hunting for gifts, so it didn't take long for me to
decide I was just going to the local guys and buying her a small Stihl. I'm
a Stihl guy through and through, so it was really easy for me to forgo any
further shopping and just go get a Stihl.

You should have seen her face when she opened it! My wife is not at all the
tom-boy type, but she thought it was great. Having said that - she hasn't
used it once since she got it! There is this fear of a chainsaw thing that
she just hasn't gotten over yet. So - I use it for the tops of trees when
we're getting firewood up. Excuse me... when we're doing fall woodworking
projects. It is so much easier to work the limbs than it is to wrestle my
361 around in all that tangle. And - you can cut all day long with that
little thing and never feel the strain of it. You know when you've lugged
my saw around for a while.

I keep mentioning that she has to get on it and give it a try. So far...
she's only "getting there". I know it will be like her log splitter - once
she uses it one time, she's going to feel the power of using another power
tool, and I'll never get to play with that little thing again. With the
splitter, if I slip and say "my splitter" while talking to someone, she
immediately corrects me by saying "who's splitter???. The day will come
when I'll have to ask her permission to use her saw to work some tree
tops...

Maybe. I can't say I recollect seeing a "girly" chainsaw, but I don't
doubt you that they exist. My chainsaw is electric ($79), but it has
already done more work than I thought it was capable of doing--mainly
including 1/3 of a big Silver Maple. The wind left that part on the
ground, the rest cost $900 to have taken down. Admittedly, if I had it
to do over, I might have rented a more powerful chainsaw like you have
for that job. But I already owned the electric one.

Bill