Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 21:36:10 -0400, Bill

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 13:31:40 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
On 10/2/2013 5:39 PM, wrote:

Plus $20 for a Irwin Marathon 10" saw blade which you "discredited"
yesterday in another thread! But it's description said "It was
designed for decking" (mayby you should try it for that?)

Allow me to correct myself, It was PuckDropper, not krw, that "sort of
sneered" at this saw blade. Hope the carbide doesn't fall off, or fly
off of mine!

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd buy a cheap blade (if I didn't already
have a bunch) for this sort of work, too. It'll be fine. I wouldn't
use it for fine woodworking after but don't throw it away after,
either.

My feelings exactly!

What about "pre-drilling" for the numerous (~50) 1 1/4" #12 screws, for
the joist hangers and corner brackets? Good idea (I think so)?

Always. I generally pre-drill with a much smaller bit than is usually
recommended, though.

I have almost everything I need; the fun part starts tomorrow! : )

I always enjoy such jobs, at least once I get into it. Getting
motivated is sometimes tough. ;-)

I have to replace the (Hardie) siding on one side of my house this
fall. I'm not looking forward to that but the hardest part will
probably be getting it home. The bed on the truck is only 6-1/2' (8'
tailgate down). I'm going to have to make something to support the
back. Then paint. Ick. See, I'm already talking myself out of it.
;-)