Fred the Red Shirt

Default Sapele was Mahogany versus Mahogany

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message ...
My interest is in Sapele. I saw some tables in New Hope last year that were
made of Sapele and Maple. They were gorgeous. I have a project in mind using
Sapele. I found that it is commonly called African Mahogany. Apparently,
several species are called African Mahogany.

I have been told that it is difficult to plane with hand tools because of
interlaced grain patterns. Is it more difficult than other woods such as
Mesquite?.

I haven't worked with it, but have sen some kayaks with sapele marine
plywood made by Chesapeake light craft. Very attractive.

--

FF