Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default OT Yes the creep keeps rising and you cannot stop it

Leon wrote:
Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:46:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/26/2013 4:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:30:20 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 7:13 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:22:31 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 12:32 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:50:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/24/2013 7:21 PM,
wrote:

Already a system is currently going up in Indianapolis, where you can
"share" an electric car--dropping it off at one of numerous designated
recharge stations.
Oh, good grief, that's dumb! What's the cost of that?

Two possibilities
1.
http://www.zipcar.com/
2. Buy shares, just as aircraft owners often do.
If you're an OCCAISIONAL user of the appliance, it sometimes makes
sense to lease it. If the taxpayer gets involved, it makes sense more
often.

Works for the occasional user, not the daily commuter.
That's what it's being sold as here. ...just grab one from the pool
and drive off - not going to work.

And apparently you still have to reserve the zipcar.
What I *don't* need is a time-share car. ;-)

I don't see the advantage to a regular rental car other than not having
to be fill it for the next person.
Except that you do.

You only have to fill it, according to the web site, if the tank goes
below 1/4. You do not pay for gas separately, it is included in the
hourly price of renting along with insurance.
Ah, I missed that. I thought it was a standard rental. I rented a
car a couple of weeks ago (will do it again next week). I had to
put[*] 2-1/2 gallons of gas in it, at $4.09/gallon (Lew should love
that data point .

[*] Boss had to pay ;-)

At least in Indianapolis, these are supposed to be mostly electric cars.
$35 millionto set it up, so there should be at least something to see.

Well if these vehicles were gasoline, there should be about 2300 units. But
then you need the specialized charging stations in tons of locations.

On another note, Houston added rail for mass transit 10+ years ago, it was
all political and a hot bed for controversy.
For the first year there was a vehicle collision with the train, on
average, every day. It was always the other guys fault, I think that is
because the train is always in the right, right or wrong. Mysteriously the
accidents are no longer breaking news and you very seldom hear of an
accident these days. I suspect that this is because the daily occourance
became boring to report on or the city maybe suggested that not so much
attention be paid to the problem.

An interesting note, one of the news sources determined that the rail
system cost so much money that it would have been less expensive to have
purchased a Ferrari for each rider.

I wonder how many vehicles $35,000,000 puts in service and or if Ferrari's
would be less expensive.
I wonder how many

As you mentioned, the $35 million includes setting up charging stations,
etc.
It seem that it's the taxi-cab business that should be most concerned.