Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

On Friday, September 27, 2013 2:09:02 PM UTC-4, Alex Gunderson wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:03:04 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Why? The propane company seems to be tickled pink to fill it. Since

they bought the other company, it is most likely theirs anyway.

I'm leaning toward the fact that whomever can prove it's theirs

probably owns it, and, I can't prove it's mine.

So, who cares who owns it? As long as they aren't charging
you for it, the current company is the lowest cost propane
supplier, and they keep filling it, like others here I don't
see the logic in shelling out $1000+ for a new tank when you have a
free one.

I did call the propane company and they told me that they changed

their rules, which makes a difference.

They now say they charge the same amount per gallon whether or

not the owner owns the tank, so that knocks out one variable.

They also said they lowered the rental fees, which are $95/year

for 500 gallon tanks and $120/year for 1,000 gallon tanks; so that

changes the amortization schedule for just the tank to something

like 10 years for break even.

Generally I use anything around 5 years as a no brainer, but,

anything between 5 and 15 years takes a little thought. Come to

think of it, that would be an interesting topic in and of itself,

so, I'll bring that to a different thread.

Did you factor in the cost of a new concrete pad and the various
other work that needs to be done? Who's going to do it and how
much? Who hooks up the necessary piping and how much?
Who takes away the old tank and how much? You're assuming
the company owns it, so I guess they probably would take it
away, but you aren't really sure. It could be yours
for all you know. Cost of permits, if any?